2010年9月27日月曜日

Got My Soccer Referee License

My son's soccer team needed to get more referees to register for an upcoming tournament, so I enrolled in a one-day workshop to get a Level 4 Referee License from the Japan Football Association. (JFA Website

Basically, this entails sitting through 7 hours of boring lectures as an enthusiastic but uninspiring senior referee reads through the Japanese version of The Laws of the Game.

At the end of the day, we had a 25 item true or false written test that everyone passed. The questions were tough and I probably wouldn't have passed it if I hadn't gotten the lecture. The lecturer helped us along by letting us know what would be on the test and what wouldn't.



So...at the end of the day, after sitting and listening (except for some mysterious stretching and janken reflex games suddenly thrown in after lunch), and taking the test and paying my 7000yen (which the team will pay for), I was certified to referee all types of local league amateur games--without ever actually doing any practice of refereeing!! Somehow the concept of "doing" something to learn it has not arrived at JFA yet.

The guy kept on taking about a "skills practice" section of the lecture, but apparently this was the section were he showed us how to raise flags, issue cards etc. We hardly ever got off our chairs.

I almost went up to talk to the lecturer guy about how he needs to improve his sessions, but he didn't seem interested in feedback, so I backed off.

I would strongly, strongly recommend the JFA cut the time for this lecture down from 7 hours to...1~2 hours and provide a hands on skill workshop. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 3 hours. In fact, the whole thing should not be in a lecture hall to begin with. It should be done on a field with real lines, with the participants taking turns flagging off-sides, calling fouls, etc. to get experience controlling the game. Maybe I should email them?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿