2011年2月17日木曜日

Two Running Books I Got

走ることについて語るときに僕の語ること (文春文庫)
Haruki Murakami, a frequent marathon and triathlon participant as well as Nobel Prize for Literature contender, shares his philosophy and experience related to running.

I'm going to run my 4th Tokyo marathon in 10 more days and decided to get this from Amazon to psyche myself up.

It is actually a very fun read. MH started running at about the same age I did (30), and he has run in more than 23 full marathons with times as fast as around 3hrs 30. He quit smoking at 30 and started to run to stop himself from getting fat, but his habit grew into longer and longer distances and eventually races.

We also agree that the main point of long distance running is the peacefulness. Get on the shoes, turn on the music, find a scenic path, and just jog away...thinking about nothing in particular.

The other book I got and have just started reading is:
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Vintage)
Very entertaining so far. This Tarahumara "running tribe" in Mexico McDougall visits is fascinating. Will I be persuaded to discard my high tech jogging shoes and start running barefoot (or with only a protective foot cover) as McGougall recommends? Hmm...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿