2011年10月19日水曜日

Finished a very sweaty, dangerous Turtle Half Marathon

Yesterday I successfully finished a half marathon in unbearably high October heat and humidity.

Marathons are not made to be run when the sun is burning at 30 degree centigrade.

As the news article below reports, 23 runners were hospitalized due to heat stroke, some in critical condition. I saw a few of these guys convulsing in the heat on the side of the road. Scary. Fortunately, the race was well-staffed with doctors and emergency personnel.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20111016/t10013298241000.html
マラソン大会 23人熱中症か
Somehow I finished. My time was about 2 hours 6 minutes on my watch. The official time will come in the mail in a few weeks.

If it weren't for the heat, I was hoping to run around 1hr 55 min, but I slowed down a lot to take extra water and to get under showers volunteers were giving with chilled water.

Finally, I want to thank my friends Toshi and Kazumi for inviting me after the run to his house nearby by for a badly needed shower and cold beer and good food. It was nice seeing their daughters Haruka and Honoko there and meeting friend Mr. Shimakura.



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿