2012年10月1日月曜日

Delicious things in Kyoto

I was in Kyoto last week for a few days to attend a conference, and in going out to lunch and dinner with my colleagues, discovered a few delicacies I can recommend, in no particular order.

1.はし長 Restaurant  Hashinaga
http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2602/A260201/26017949/

This is a relatively new restaurant, and is a bit hard to find, but serves exquisite Kyoto style courses at relatively reasonable prices (for Kyoto, which is pricey in general). Very friendly service in a relaxing, simple Japanese interior. I was with Japanese colleagues and didn't check how good their English service is, but I have a feeling any traveler could enjoy the comfortable atmosphere. Highly recommended. We started with a mid-range dinner course and it was very satisfying. Good sake selection, too, including the discovery below. In terms of the food, the most memorable dish was the chestnut soup--nutty, creamy, and savory in a superb balance.

2. 輝の酒 Kagayaki no Sake (literally "Sake of Brilliance")
Link: http://www.fujimuraya.com/shopping/shop/sake/q0017.html

We tasted a number of local Kyoto sakes, but this left a massive impact beyond all the others. The official maker website describes it as a fruity, gentle, fragrant daiginjo (フルーティーな吟醸香とふくらみのある味わいです), but it is much more than that. I don't consider myself a fan of fruitiness in sake flavors, so I am not sure the above is the best description. The taste is gentle and subtle but not fruity in any western sense. It hits you with substantial balanced flavor in all parts of the mouth and there is a robust dryness that lingers on the pallet in a delightful way.
斎藤酒造 藤本修志 輝の酒 純米大吟醸 720ml
Kagayaki no Sake

2 件のコメント:

  1. Hi, Mark!
    I am planning to visit Kyoto during the autumn vacation! I would like to try the sake!

    返信削除
  2. Ryoko,

    Yes, I really recommend it. Have a great time!

    返信削除