2009年9月7日月曜日

Back from JACET 2009 in Hokkaido

From 9/3-9/6, I was in Sapporo for the Japan Association of College English Teachers annual national convention, and just got back late last night.

It was the busiest conference experience I ever had because of my involvement with the convention steering committee. Just doing a presentation is enough work, and doing more on top of that is a bit hard--but it is also just a matter of getting used to dividing energies.

So I was was busy with:
  1. Listening to presentations--I'll try to summarize what I learned in a separate article in the future. The most practical one for me was about the establishment and management of a Writing Center at a Japanese university. I also learned a lot about how Japanese departments structure grading of English classes.
  2. Making my presentation reporting on the Academic Speaking Assessment we use at ICU--Need to write an article on that too, with PowerPoint slides embedded.
  3. Moderating a session of presentations--This was a first experience for me, but apparently is a long tradition at JACET. I introduced the speakers, gave time management signals to them, opened up the Q&A (but let the speakers moderate it themselves), and closed the session. Both of my speakers were speaking in Japanese, so I guess I could tried to do all that in Japanese, but I did in the American style in English with "Please welcome...with a big applause" in the same way a Japanese professor had moderated my presentation.
  4. Helping at the Registration Desk--but it was during a slow hour and I had a good time chatting with the other volunteer staff members.
  5. Staying on stand-by to assist the Plenary/Invited speakers--I was just a backup person, and I never got called on, so I guess the main staff from the Hokkaido chapter did a great job!
  6. Networking: Went to dinner/lunch with a number of instructors and professors from different universities
  7. Exploring; And of course, searched around Sapporo for good places to enjoy sushi, ramen, sake, and beer. I need to write a different article on that too.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿