2010年4月8日木曜日

一年生になりました!



This week Michael started first grade and I had the pleasure of attending the starting ceremony and going to his classroom to meet his teacher, a very young lady just out of college.

So far, for the first three days of attendance, Michael seems to be enjoying it. He gets up the morning early before us, does his English workbook requirements, eats breakfast, puts on his bulky leather book ransel (dutch for backback and used in Japanese as the standard type of primary school book pack) and then rushes off with his classmates who live just next door. He doesn't talk much about what he does at school (I forgot), but he says it was "Good". I hope he'll continue to have fun and learn a lot. And stay out of trouble--he can get a bit carried away with being silly and gets bored and distracted easily when he's not interested in what is happening. We'll see how it goes.

His English reading and writing is going well for a first grader, but I need to get more knowledge about how to help 6-7 year olds like Michael develop a strong foundation of literacy. I want him to become an independent and active reader and writer in English, and hope to use elements of the "Workshop Method" where students choose their own readings and writing topics and develop skills with guidance from a teacher, which will be me until I find a good part-time English program for him or switch over to an English based curriculum school. For now, I'll keep doing my best to get him to write diaries or creative things, and also do language arts workbooks with reading and writing answers and responses...until I get a better idea.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿