2010年4月18日日曜日

The Examined Life: Age 8

My son is almost 7, so this title in the NY Times caught my eye.

The main idea is that kids can enjoy philosophical discussions. The example given in the article is eight-year old kids at a charter school discussing the ethics of the story "Giving Tree" in which a tree gives its friend, a human boy, apples, branches and finally its trunk to help him. One of the discussion questions "Should the boy take so much from the tree?"

OK, I can give that a try with Michael. I wish there were a nice list of kids picture books that lend themselves to philosophical discussions...

Just today, Michael was reading to me the "No Tooth, No Quarter" about the kingdom of tooth fairies. Where would I go with that...? Hmm...Is a quarter a tooth a fair exchange rate?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿