2009年1月19日月曜日

In the Valley of Elah (2007) - Disturbing, but engaging

In the Valley of Elah just came out on DVD in Japan. (Japanese title 告発のとき)
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809805319/info


I thought it was worth watching on two accounts:

1. As a father, this narrative based on a true story made me contemplate the horror of sending my son to war and learning how he is transformed into something else upon return from the battlefield.

2. As a citizen, I was alerted to the possibility that large numbers of troops returning from "liberating Iraq" may need psychological support to readjust. Assuming the story that this movie is based on is true in the way it is implied in the film, the importance of giving not only respect to veterans but also an environment in which they can adequately deal with the psychological issues they may face cannot be underestimated.

I write this knowing nothing of war. I hope I will never have to, but I still have much respect for those who sign up and make sacrifices to defend what they believe in.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿