2009年1月19日月曜日

Making essay peer reviews work: one win, one loss?

Last Friday and today Monday, I had two in-class "peer review" classes, one for my freshmen and one for my sophomores. Both classes were reviewing drafts of about 800 words. The in-class peer review is one part of the draft review process, including in addition an online written review that students have to do for each other and a conference with me to discuss my reactions to their draft.

So, below is how I set the in-class peer review exchange up (copied from my handout). My personal impression is that this works quite well as long as I avoid some pitfalls. In my Friday freshmen class, I had some groups where the exchange of ideas did not really seem to be working, and I guessed it was due to two problems. After anticipating those, my Monday class went very smoothly.

The first problem you always run into to is people with no drafts finished. On Friday, I asked them to join a group anyway and read and give comments, but I have come to the conclusion that it is better to let them go out of the classroom or do their own work. The pair exchange between two persons with drafts works with a good balance of time and having a third person just does not seem to work logistically. On Monday, that was what I did and all pairs hummed along very smoothly.

Another problem is what to do with an odd number. On Friday, I made a group of three, but the three struggled because they had to read two papers to have a coherent discussion and ended up running out of time in our 70 minute period. On Monday, I decided to fill in the gap and be a partner to ensure all students were in pairs. If you have ideas for making a group of three work, please let me now.

Other problems....students who come in late, students who match up with different levels (usually by asking students to say how long their drafts are and matching up same lengths of drafts, the level gets matched too, but not always.).

Overall, students seem to enjoy their exchanges very much. I allow use of their first language if they feel it is needed, and a few took advantage of that while most groups stayed in English.

2. Peer Review of 1st drafts

The goal is to help you receive some specific ideas for improving your draft as well as give you a chance to practice reading critically and giving constructive feedback.

1) Find a partner who has a draft of about the same length. Sit close in pairs.

If you have no draft, you can read/write quietly or go to the library.

2) Ask Can I write comments on your draft? -> Exchange papers and read.

If the writer allows comments, feel free to annotate with ? or other comments.

3) After both have basically finished reading, discuss one essay first, then the next.

Use 3 steps: 1. Confirm Main Point, 2. Give Positive Feedback, then 3. Give Suggestions

Writer: So...Did you understand my main point?

Reader: Well, I think your main point is... (summarize your understanding briefly)

Writer: Right. What do you think about the draft so far?

Reader: I really like the point about.... (start by giving much positive feedback!)

Writer: Do you have any suggestions?
Reader: First, what's your feeling about your draft? How do you plan to improve it?
Writer: Well...I think the biggest need for change is... (do self-critique first)
Reader: I think those ideas are good. In addition...you could consider adding/changing...
Note: Try to give suggestions about main ideas and evidence, not technical things.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿