2009年3月18日水曜日

DeepeNing my knowledge of Nings as I create an online course resource

So I'm looking for a good way to create an interactive learning site for academic/professional speaking improvement for non-native speakers of English. I'm mulling over Moodle (not bad, but not public if I use our university platform), Google Sites, a blog on Blogger or Wordpress, or a combination thereof.

And I think I should look at Nings too. I once audited an online course on web literacies that used a Ning for instruction and interation. It seemed to have potential. But is it easy to use for the instructor and students?

Nings basically are communities-social networks of invited persons or people who join an open community on their own. That is basically what a classroom or course should be, in a sense.

http://improveenglishspeaking.ning.com/forum

The features of being able to easily upload videos or audio files make it conducive to a "speaking" class site. The ability to use forums for discussions between members is powerful and easy to use too. That puts it above using a class blog in some respects.

If it were only for my own class, it might be ideal. The problem is that I am trying to create a site not only for one class for a whole department and possibly for English learners all over the world. Of course, it may be realistic to try to do everything on one site.

I may need to combine a combination of Moodle (for institutional things), a Google site (for resources that should be easily accessible on the web without membership/community things), and a Ning for membership things (my class of this semester to share videos of their own speaking like a portfolio?) - Or should all students have their own blog for that, and just use an aggregator like Google Reader for their blogs...

Decisions, decisions. The easiest way is to get started in Moodle, I suppose, and branch out as needed with things that I want public or that Moodle does not support enough, with links back into Moodle...

Hmm...where's the perfect online course creator application with all kinds of options for private/public, resources, quizzes, surveys --like Moodle, only more flexible and restrictively open to the public?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿