2009年3月20日金曜日

Speaking Improvement FAQs

These are just some notes I'm making to prepare an FAQ list for a speaking class website. I'm hoping to have a number of FAQ articles about speaking skill development for ICU students to peruse.

It is actually very challenging to keep responses short. I guess what may work best is a short response with a link to more imformation about sub-points that can be easily navigated.

I want the FAQ list to be visually appealing and accessible. I want students to enjoy wading through it and getting ideas. Hopefully they will discover many concepts and practice methods that will encourage them to become self-propelling learners of speaking.

Q. How can I improve my speaking skill? (The most general question)
A. Improving your speaking has three main steps:
1. Input through listening, understanding when to use what type of language
For example, you hear somebody say "I'm sorry, could you say that again?" when they can't catch something somebody said. You notice the function of the words, intonation, timing, and (if possible) even the gestures or facial expressions that make up that act of communication successful.
2. Practicing a similar expression in a similar context. This can be in a classroom, or in a real situation, or even in an "imagined situation" that you simulate by yourself.
3. Getting feedback on your effectiveness. In other words, getting a reaction to check whether your communication is successful or not. In the example of "I'm sorry, could you say that again?" if the listener stops and repeats his words for you, your communication has been successful. By experiencing positive feedback/reactions, your confidence increases.
Basically, people who speak a foreign language well have repeated the 3 step cycle again and again, building their confidence with more input, more practice, and more feedback.

Q. I speak English very slowly--the words don't come out. How can I develop my fluency?
A. This often happens to learners who have not had a chance to practice speaking very much even though they have learned English for many years. Don't worry! As you repeat the 3 step cycle of input, practice, feedback and try expressing your ideas in various situations in class and outside of class, your fluency will develop. In addition, here are some key practice methods to keep in mind for improving fluency:
1. Repeat useful phrases until you can say them smoothly (Use dialogue materials to learn what kinds of phrases are useful for the situations you will be in, such as class discussions. Keep trying to use new phrases for a variety of functions.)
2. Prepare what you want to say before class and do a rehearsal. If you have a chance to discuss something in a class, imagine what you will say when you do your homework.
3. Practice talking about what you like to talk about. For example, you can do a Oral Journal by recording yourself talking about what you did that day or other topics that you choose. Even if you do not ask someone else to listen, just speaking and recording can be an excellent way practice connecting your ideas more smoothly.
4. Use time limits and systems such as 3-2-1. With a topic, first give yourself three minutes to talk about it. Then, try to say the same content more smoothly in two minutes. Finally, summarize the ideas in one minute--not just speaking more quickly, but also speaking more efficiently to get your main points out. If you record yourself, you can reflect on your own improvement too. If you have a partner to exchange recordings with or give presentations to, your study can be even more enjoyable or effective.

Q. I feel like some of the topics we discuss in our academic English program are too difficult. I want to practice more casual conversation English. What should I do?
Topics in ICU English classes can be difficult sometimes, and may not always help you develop fluency in terms of being easy to speak main ideas without thinking. Unlike "free conversation" lessons, academic English practice asks you to develop skills to think critically and discuss at the same time, in a good balance. You should see those difficult topics as an excellent chance to practice phrases that analyze the difficult issue and keep the communication going even if you are not exactly sure what your opinion is. By getting ideas from others and asking questions about the question, you can "think together as you discuss." This ability to "think together as you discuss" is one of the most important skills that you can learn if you want to use English skills in professional situations in the future. Of course, preparation before class to read the text and have some ideas about the content helps immensely too. However, even if you have not prepared, you should still be able to use class time to engage in a meaningful discussion. There is no reason for silence or lack of participation, especially when your chances to speak English while living in Japan are so limited.

Q. I think my pronunciation is not good. What should I do?
Q. I have a poor vocabulary. What should I do?
Q. I get nervous when I speak English. What should I do?
Q. I want to find a native speaker conversation partner. How?
Q. My classmates often speak Japanese in discussions. What should I do?
Q. How can I use movies to improve my speaking? (What is shadowing?)

These ideas are all good...now to start developing the site...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿